In 1921 the premises was purchased by Mary O’Rourke, a young widow who successfully established the business of Vintners, Grocers and Tea Merchants. During that period the premises was popularly known as ‘The Widow O’Rourkes’. One of her sons Jack took over the running of the business in the 1930’s, giving his name to the popular tavern. Jack continued his involvement in the business for almost 50 years, only retiring in 1977. It is the 4th generation of O’Rourkes who are presently the caretaker of this Blackrock institution.
Earliest records indicate that Jack O’Rourke’s has been a tavern since the mid 1700’s, with much of the existing building having been constructed in 1897, the year indicated on the facade of the building. The history of Jack O’Rourke’s is interwoven with the history of Blackrock village, once a small fishing village which began to be commercially developed in the mid 19th century.Jack O’Rourke’s has been a favourite for generations of Blackrock residents during the past century. James Joyce, Myles na gCopaleen, and the artist Sean O’Sullivan, are but a few of the famous and “infamous” who frequented the premises over the years.
Blackrock has dramatically changed in the last 100 years, but Jack O’Rourke’s is still there, and as much a part of the “new” Blackrock, as it was a part of the “old” Blackrock.It is worth browsing through the pictures and memorabilia that have been carefully preserved, and hang on the walls of Jack O’Rourke’s, depicting events of bygone days in Blackrock.
Our aim is to provide our customers with good food, tasty beverages, and enthusiastic, friendly service.
We have a wide selection of Gins from around Ireland and beyond.
We have a range of Irish Craft Beers in bottle and draught.